A large hospital has suffered from bad publicity due to a number of highly publicised deaths and problems during apparently routine operations. It wishes to set up a data warehouse to be able (among other things) to analyse general trends and outcomes of operations/surgical procedures taking place, in order to attempt to understand what is going wrong.
You can assume that the hospital has been routinely collecting data on various aspects of this over the years. This data is currently held over a number of different databases.
You may make any reasonable assumptions to support your model.
Please upload the following by the due date.
1) A brief explanation of the assumptions you have made in the course of putting together your star schema, including a rationale for the inclusion of your data, any clarification of the attributes you have included, etc (250-500 words).
2) The rationale for your star schema design, showing each step in Kimball’s four step process.
3) A star schema diagram clearly showing your fact table, dimension tables and attributes for each. Note: You are not medical specialists (as far as I am aware!) so your solution is only expected to show that you are aware of the principles of star schema design, and broadly, as a layperson, what kind of data might be relevant for this scenario based on the assumption provided in 1) above. There is no need to do any detailed research into surgical processes.
4) Examples of two possible analyses that could be carried out using this star schema and how these might help the hospital.
5) Evidence of research (ie references using Harvard referencing) that you have conducted in the course of putting together your model.
You may also be required to provide a short oral explanation of your data model to your tutor. Further information will be provided in your weekly seminar.
Are your assumptions clear, have you identified possible origins of the data you are using to populate the star schema and the potential for useful analysis?
Have you clearly documented Kimball’s 4 stage process?
Does your diagram show evidence of clear understanding of the basics of star schemas (eg surrogate keys, measures and dimension tables reflecting the chosen grain, hierarchy of attributes, any further concepts you have researched)?
Have you produced a realistic model, does it conform to your assumptions? Is there evidence of high levels of research and understanding?
Quality of suggestions for use Possible analysis using your star schema: Does the star schema support your suggestions? How useful and realistic are these suggestions?
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS